- Pandoro – Woodward Lane and corner Wakefield/Allen Streets. Artisan pastries and breads. Delicious with coffee over the Sunday paper. Woodward from 7am weekdays, Allen 7 days from 7am.
- Boon Brothers Crumpet and Cocktails – Opera House foyer. Delicious crumpets and cocktails created from a tasting wheel. From 1pm 7 days.
- Six Barrel Soda Company – Upstairs at Eva/Dixon Streets. Hand crafted sodas, including seasonal flavours, flights and ice cream floats. Chippies for nibbling. From 10am 7 days.
- Deluxe Cafe – Kent Terrace beside The Embassy. A Wellington institution with a wonderful range of vegetarian-leaning cabinet food and funky decor/staff. Havana coffee. 7 days.
- Louis Sergeant – 145 Featherston Street. An elegant French tea shop with artistic French treats (both sweet and savoury), luscious high teas every afternoon, and melt-in-the-mouth pastries. From 9am 7 days.
- Martha’s Pantry – corner Cuba and Karo Drive. Old fashioned tea shop with home-made sandwiches and sweets, lovingly decorated like grandma’s kitchen, and sought after high teas. Tuesday to Sunday daytimes (note weekends are nearly all solidly booked out with high teas).
- La Cloche Central – corner of Featherston and Ballance. The sister to La Cloche at Kaiwharawhara, doing tasty French savoury and sweet fare . Weekdays 7.00am to 4.00pm.
- The Mt Vic and Thorndon Chipperies – Lower Majoribanks Street and 10 Murphy Street. Classy fish and chips with a long list of fish, coatings, sides, and sauces to choose from. Beautifully presented in individual boxes, and totally separate gluten free fryers. 7 days from noon.
- Gipsy Kitchen – Glamis Avenue, Strathmore. Delicious deli foods for inhaling onsite, or taking home for dinner (or that next dinner party). Friday late afternoon/early evening tapas are rated. 7 days.
- Le Moulin Bakery – Willis Street near Vivian. Fantastic pastries and french breads. No seating, so take away elsewhere to savour. Tuesday to Sunday, close early afternoons on weekends.
- Gellisimo – Odlins Plaza on the Waterfront beneath the Stock Exchange. Hand-crafted award-winning small batch gelato and sorbets. Ever-changing flavours and on on a number of restaurant menus. 7 days.
- Moore Wilson’s Chook Wagon – in the upstairs carpark. French rotisserie chickens in a purpose-built replica 1947 Citreon truck. Drive by for delicious dinner magic, and if you fancy the Friday duck, book ahead. Tuesday to Sunday.
- Wellington Chocolate Factory – Leeds Street. Award-winning single origin chocolates from NZ’s only public bean-to-bar chocolate artisan, and very pure hot chocolates. 7 days.
- Tomboy – lower Majoribanks Street. Delicious cakes, sweets, donuts, and lunchtime bites in a beautiful pink and floral setting. Simple elegance. Tuesday to Saturday 7.30am to 2pm.
- Sweet Shakes and Cakes – Upper Cuba near Karo Drive. The CBD outlet of Karori’s Sweet Bakery and Cakery with create-your-own exotic shakes and a variety of cupcakes and their iconic layer cakes. Monday to Saturday from 10am to 6pm (8pm Fri and Sat).
- Vic Books Cafe, Kelburn Campus on Kelburn Terrace by the main university entrance, and in Rutherford House at the Pipitea campus . Peoples coffee and tasty fresh-made food among Aladdin’s caves of books and gifts. Mondays to Saturday daytimes.