- Pandoro – Woodward Lane and corner Wakefield/Allen Streets. Artisan pastries and breads. Delicious with coffee over the Sunday paper. Woodward from 7am weekdays, Allen 7 days from 7am.
- Boon Brothers Crumpet and Cocktails – Opera House foyer. Delicious crumpets and cocktails created from a tasting wheel. From 1pm 7 days.
- Six Barrel Soda Company – Upstairs at Eva/Dixon Streets. Hand crafted sodas, including seasonal flavours, flights and ice cream floats. From 10am 7 days.
- Deluxe Cafe – Kent Terrace beside The Embassy. A Wellington institution with a wonderful range of vegetarian-leaning cabinet food and funky decor/staff. Havana coffee. 7 days.
- Louis Sergeant – 145 Featherston Street. An elegant French tea shop with artistic French treats (both sweet and savoury), luscious high teas every afternoon, and melt-in-the-mouth pastries. From 9am 7 days.
- Martha’s Pantry – corner Cuba and Karo Drive. Old fashioned tea shop with home-made sandwiches and sweets, lovingly decorated like grandma’s kitchen, and sought after high teas. Tuesday to Sunday daytimes (note weekends are nearly all solidly booked out with high teas).
- Photonflux – 176 Victoria Street. Groovy sci-fi and geek cafe with out of this world decor. Kitchen run by The Beat Kitchen food truck team and Lashings brownies (vegemite brownie anyone?). Includes cute photonflux fried buns. Tuesday to Sunday afternoon/evenings.
- La Cloche Central – corner of Featherston and Ballance. The sister to La Cloche at Kaiwharawhara, doing tasty French savoury and sweet fare . Weekdays 7.00am to 4.00pm.
- Doppio – 342A Tinakori Road (behind the Sprig and Fern) – fantastic European-style bakery doing any number of breads and pastries. Eat in or take away. Tuesday to Saturday daytimes.
- The Mt Vic and Thorndon Chipperies – Lower Majoribanks Street and 10 Murphy Street. Classy fish and chips with a long list of fish, coatings, sides, and sauces to choose from. Beautifully presented in individual boxes, and totally separate gluten free fryers. 7 days from noon.
- Gipsy Kitchen – Glamis Avenue, Strathmore, and Jessie Street in the CBD. Delicious deli foods for inhaling onsite, or taking home for dinner (or that next dinner party). Friday late afternoon/early evening tapas at Strathmore are highly rated. 7 days.
- Le Moulin Bakery – Willis Street near Vivian. Fantastic pastries and french breads. No seating, so take away elsewhere to savour. Tuesday to Sunday, close early afternoons on weekends.
- Gellisimo – Odlins Plaza on the Waterfront beneath the Stock Exchange. Hand-crafted award-winning small batch gelato and sorbets. Ever-changing flavours and on on a number of restaurant menus. 7 days.
- Moore Wilson’s Chook Wagon – in the upstairs carpark. French rotisserie chickens in a purpose-built replica 1947 Citreon truck. Drive by for delicious dinner magic, and if you fancy the Friday duck, book ahead. Tuesday to Sunday.
- Wellington Chocolate Factory – Leeds Street. Award-winning single origin chocolates from NZ’s only public bean-to-bar chocolate artisan, and very pure hot chocolates. 7 days.
- Tomboy – lower Majoribanks Street. Delicious cakes, sweets, donuts, and lunchtime bites in a beautiful pink and floral setting. Simple elegance. Tuesday to Saturday 7.30am to 2pm.
- Sweet Shakes and Cakes – Upper Cuba near Karo Drive. The CBD outlet of Karori’s Sweet Bakery and Cakery with create-your-own exotic shakes and a variety of cupcakes and their iconic layer cakes. Monday to Saturday from 10am to 6pm (8pm Fri and Sat).
- Vic Books Cafe, Kelburn Campus on Kelburn Terrace by the main university entrance, and in Rutherford House at the Pipitea campus . Peoples coffee and tasty fresh-made food among Aladdin’s caves of books and gifts. Mondays to Saturday daytimes.